Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Life Lessons

...that I am learning from "Lord of the Rings." Hubs thinks it's a little silly that I find it so fascinating but I just can't help it. I think Tolkien, although he himself said it was not an allegory of anything, did an excellent job of making a commentary on human nature, as well numerous allegories that I as a Christ-follower can learn from.

When I first read the books several years ago, I thought Gandalf was the principal Christ figure, always showing up at the right time with just what is necessary. Now I realize that he is one of several, and not the main one. Aragorn, Frodo, and Sam are Christ figures too. I love it when Sam tells Frodo, "I can't carry the ring for you, but I can carry you." That is what Christ does for us, when we see only one set of footprints in the sand. And though I am late in seeing the last 2 movies (the first I saw in the theater) I am no less appreciative of them. They follow the books quite exactly, and the cinematography is amazing. The casting was awesome too; each of the characters was like I pictured them in the movies.

Some life lessons I've learned from LOTR (though more will surely be forthcoming):
1) Choose your traveling companions very carefully.
2) We all really, really need our friends.
3) Even when you're in a crisis, you still need to have fun (Legolas & Gimli seeing who could get more Orcs at Helm's Deep)
4) Also from Legolas & Gimli....When you get to know someone different from yourself, you just might make a new friend.
5) Sometimes you need a lady to do what no man can. (Eowyn & the Witch-king of Angmar)
6) Behind every Gollum there is a Smeagol with a story.
7) No matter what, keep trying.
8) People whom we do not always agree with still have a reason for being in our lives.

I'm sure the list will grow longer as I keep reading the books and re-watching the movies. I'm only beginning rereading "The Two Towers".

My boy's new words: "tata" (pata, Spanish for paw or foot), pretty, play, home, coming, me, orange, blue, goodbye, goodnight, bravo, Debbie (our neighbor).

No comments: